5 reasons why parents take their children to see a chiropractor:
1. To improve spinal movement
2. To improve posture
3. To reduce crying time in babies
4. To improve muscle tone
5. To improve their child's coordination and balance
Chiropractic Care is, and has been shown to be, completely safe for kids of any age.
Research shows that spinal function DOES affect brain function. It also shoes that adjusting the spine DOES change brain function- both in the prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum.
If, as this research suggests, chiropractic adjustments improve prefrontal cortex activity (a part of the brain that is responsible for much higher levels of body function), then what does this mean in terms of chiropractic's impact on things like behaviour, decision-making, memory and attention, cognitive ability, motor control, eye movements and spatial awareness?
So how does chiropractic work?
Children are learning all the time by running, jumping, falling, tackling and sitting. The effect of everyday-play on a child's body, as well as the load of carrying heavy school-bags and sitting at desks, can often cause a reduction in full movement of the spine and the joints surrounding the nerves. This restriction in movement of joints in the spine, and how it affects the function of the nervous system, is called a ‘vertebral subluxation’.
Some of these things may cause pain, but often, though there might be pain initially (like an injury), the pain itself will resolve on its own. The absence of pain doesn't always mean that proper joint movement has been restored. Continued reduction in spinal movement may contribute to poor brain stimulation, and this may affect co-ordination, balance, hand-eye co-ordination, as well as muscle tone and spinal posture. This will impact on the healthy and optimal function of the whole body.
How can I tell if my child has a subluxation?
Your toddler or child may:
- Have one shoulder blade that is higher or sticks out more than the other
- Tilt their head to one side, or have one ear higher than the other
- Walk or stand with their toes pointing together
- Have recurrent tonsillitis or ear infections
- Be clumsy or uncoordinated
Your baby may:
- Have a preference for feeding on one side
- Tilt his head to one side when lying on his back
- Arch her back when she cries
- Be a poor sleeper or generally hard to settle
- Have a misshaped head
- Be slow to lift their head, crawl, or walk
It is important to realise that chiropractic is not the cure of any condition. The purpose of chiropractic is to find and reduce stress and interference to the nerve system (including the brain), allowing the person to experience greater function and an overall improved quality of life.